Re: ZFS and gmirror

From: Hugo Silva <hugo_at_barafranca.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:24:57 +0100
Axel S. Gruner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am playing a bit with ZFS on FreeBSD Current and i love it.
> But now i am at a point where is got some questions coming up.
>
> My FreeBSD is running in a VM under Vmware Fusion and i am using FreeBSD
> AMD64.
>
> I installed FreeBSD on da0.
> / with 334 MB
> swap 1GB
> usr rest
>
> After that, i created a pool and usr on it:
>
> #zpool create zusr raidz da0 da1 da2
> #zfs create zusr/usr
>
> I copied /usr to zusr/usr
>
> #cp -Rp /usr/ /zusr/usr
>
> Edit the fstab entry, and comment out the old /dev/da0s1d (/usr).
>
> New mountpoint:
> #zfs set mountpoint=/usr zusr/usr
>
> Ok, everything works fine.
>
> Now the question and/or problem.
>
> Now i have on da0 a free da0s1d. Ok, i can use this with zfs:
>
> #zpool create oldusr /dev/da0s1d
>
> Works. Nice.
>
> But, is there a way to mirror my /dev/da0s1a? Can i use gmirror to
> mirror /dev/da0s1a with /dev/da0s4a?
> Also, mirroring swap /dev/da0s1b with /dev/da0s4b would be nice. Yes
> data is in a raidz mirror, but / is a single point of failure right now.
>
> And also, i could create a zfs mirror with da0s1d and da4s1d.
>
> Another question:
> If i got only 2 disks, how about using ZFS here? Using just /boot on UFS
> should work as i read, but can i mirror that one with gmirrror and use
> the rest of the the two disks with ZFS as an ZFS mirror?
> I stuck at that problem right now.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Axel

/dev/mirror/gm0s1a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
mypool/home on /home (zfs, local, nosuid)
mypool/home/klr on /home/klr (zfs, local, nosuid)
mypool/tmp on /tmp (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid)
mypool/usr on /usr (zfs, local)
mypool/usr/ports on /usr/ports (zfs, local, nosuid)
mypool/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, local, noexec,
nosuid)
mypool/var on /var (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid)

  pool: mypool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config: