Re: The relation between %fs and fs base

From: jj shen <kbottle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:54:14 +0800
Hi,

I know that NPTL use %fs to access thread local data. It seems that when the
base address can be fitted in 32 bits, a GDT entry is used for better
performance and the selector is loaded to %fs; otherwise, if the base
address is larger than 0xffffffff, it is loaded to FS_BASE MSR and %fs is
set to zero.

I need to maintain these two kinds of TLS simultaneously (for system
simulation), but was confused with the %fs and fs base. Maybe, someone can
help me, at least my last two questions.

Thanks!