Re: HEADS UP: UNIX domain socket locking changes merged to CVS HEAD

From: Scott Robbins <scottro_at_nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 04:36:10 -0500
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:11:15AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Scott Robbins wrote:
>

> >I too have been having unexpected lockups--like Randall, I figured it was
> >something to do with my machine.  Interestingly enough, though X will lock up
> >completely (and I can't ssh to the machine, though I can ping it) the jail,
> >which runs a small web site, running on an alias ip address continues to
> >work--I can still access the web site from outside.
> >

> Give uipc_usrreq.c:1.199 a try and see if it helps.

As posted earlier, I just finished a build with it, but won't be able to
give a definite answer till tonight.

> On the web server/jail vs X11 thing: yes -- deadlocks involving lock order
> reversals typically affect two classes of threads.  The first is threads that
> are directly involved in the deadlock (the two reverse lock acquisitions), and
> the second class is threads that end up waiting on any locks (or other
> resources) held by the threads in the deadly embrace.
>

> X11/Gnome, and possibly UNIX domain sockets generally, will do alright.
> However, I would think that new SSH sessions into the jail might also hang
> since they will try to open new syslog sessions, which requires a UNIX domain
> socket connect operation.

That turned out to be correct.  I couldn't ssh into the jail either,
only the web server continued working.

Thank you again for your quick response to the problem, and hopefully
we'll be able to report success by this evening.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: You were looking at my neck.
Angel: What?
Xander: You were checking out my neck, I saw that.
Angel: No, I wasn't.
Xander: Just keep your distance, pal.
Angel: I wasn't looking at your neck.
Xander: I told you to eat before we left.