Re: /etc/make.conf oddity (?)

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:58:06 -0800
Ed Schouten wrote:

> I once had this issue as well. Keep in mind that /etc/make.conf is a
> Makefile, not a shellscript. In Makefiles you don't need to quote your
> variables. In shell scripts you do, because the second argument will be
> treated as a command.

Just to be a little pedantic, you need to quote variables _if_ there
is more than one of them.

foo="bar"
and
foo=bar

are functionally equivalent, whereas

foo="bar baz"
and
foo=bar baz

mean two very different things, as you suggest above.

If you want to see good examples of when quoting might be needed for
make, check out ports-mgmt/portconf.

hth,

Doug