Re: ZFS port to FreeBSD: 2nd patchset available.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:44:32 +0100
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 03:16:48AM +0000, Joao Barros wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Barry Pederson <bp_at_barryp.org> wrote:
> >Joao Barros wrote:
> >
> >> After some tries I finally got it to buildworld, but at 3am I never
> >> got to test anything other than 'kldload zfs'
> >>
> >> I was reading the man pages and I was wondering if files are supported
> >> devices like in this example:
> >>
> >> Example 4 Creating a ZFS Storage Pool by Using Files
> >>
> >> The following command creates an unmirrored pool using files. While
> >> not recommended, a pool based on files can be useful for experimental
> >> purposes.
> >>
> >> # zpool create tank /path/to/file/a /path/to/file/b
> >>
> >> I'd have to feed some noisy disks to my machine if file devs are not
> >> supported -.-
> >
> >I tried something like that, with a 512mb file:
> >
> >        dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1048976 count=512
> >        zpool create tank /tmp/foo
> >
> >but it comes back with
> >
> >        cannot use '/dev//tmp/foo': must be a GEOM provider
> >
> >mdconfig is one way to go here, creating a memory disk based on that
> >file. and then creating a pool from that
> >
> >        mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /tmp/foo
> >
> >(comes back with "md0" perhaps, meaning it's created a /dev/md0 )
> >
> >        zpool create tank md0
> >
> >and you should be in business.

mdconfig(8) '-t vnode' is exactly the reason I ignored vdev_file.

> That did the trick, thanks for the idea :)
>
> After creating a pool, copying some files and other "just playing
> around commands" I got this on my log:
>
> ZFS filesystem version 3
> ZFS storage pool version 3
> acquiring duplicate lock of same type: "zfs:tx:cpu"
[...]

I know about those 'duplicate lock' and I've patches to fix this
particular warning. Those are harmless.
I also have LOR.txt file with LORs I know and are confirmed by SUN guys
to be harmless.

So for now I'd advice not to use WITNESS.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org