Re: etherboot + pxeboot ?

From: Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko_at_ambrisko.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:57:32 -0800 (PST)
Eric Anderson writes:
| On 02/26/07 15:13, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
| > On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 14:11 -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
| >> Has anyone successfully used etherboot to load pxeboot via tftp (or
| >> NFS), and then NFS boot a FreeBSD -CURRENT box?
| >
| > I did install -CURRENT snapshot using on-board ROM of my Intel PRO/1000,
| > since my laptop does not have optical drive. I realize that it is not
| > quite what you are looking for, but if you think any server-side
| > configuration bits could be useful to you, please, let me know.
|
| Nah, I can successfully NFS boot a -CURRENT box just fine.  It's only
| when using etherboot that it doesn't work (it gives an "Unable to load"
| error).  Loading the pxeboot file via pxelinux ends up with a BTX halted
| crash that I don't understand.

I haven't played with it recently but I recall the issue before was
that our pxeboot is relatively huge (since it includes /boot/loader)
and Etherboot runs out of memory that it can address.

It might be interesting to see how Etherboot worked a long time ago
with some patches to it and pxeboot to make it work.  This was before
PXE support was added to Etherboot.  Also things could have changed
in Etherboot since the last time I tried to run pxeboot with it.

Doug A.