Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/tar Makefile bsdtar.c bsdtar.h bsdtar_platform.h config_freebsd.h getdate.y matching.c read.c tree.c util.c write.c src/usr.bin/tar/test config.sh test-acl.sh test-basic.sh test-deep-dir.sh test-flags.sh test-nodump.sh ...

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:12:01 -0700
> kientzle    2007-03-11 10:36:43 UTC
>   FreeBSD src repository
>   bsdtar 2.0.23:
>      * read.c now relies on security checks in libarchive instead
>        of trying to do its own...

Bsdtar should now be considerably faster than before.
I put a lot of effort over the last few months into
streamlining the code in libarchive to recreate objects
on disk.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the performance of this latest
bsdtar when restoring archives.  I'm particularly interested in
performance compared to GNU tar for uncompressed archives
with and without the "-P" option (which disables the security
checks).

Cheers,

Tim Kientzle