Re: Experiencing hangs on SMP box with no console messages given for clues. Details inside.

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:46:30 -0700
Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

>>> As it turns out, a few hours.
>>>
>>> After capturing the information below I ran `panic`. While booting,
>>> the following lock messages came up -- I thought it might be related
>>> so I'll post it here:
>
> If using uid/gid firewall rules, make sure to read the pertinent man
> pages regarding setting debug.mpsafenet=0 in loader.conf to avoid
> deadlocks.  This is only a workaround for the issue, and when
> debug.mpsafenet is removed, this workaround will no longer be
> available.  The authors/maintainers of the various firewall packages
> need to correct these problems or the lock order reversals (and
> associated deadlocks) will persist.

I actually have some work on this in an experimental branch..
it removes the requirement for users of ipfw to hold a lock on it
by making the firewall table an array rather than a lined list and then
using a read-copy-replace write semantic with reference conts on the array..
a bit like the cred structures that processes and threads have..
i.e. you never change it, just replace it with a new one..
previosu users ofthe structure  just keep using the one they have
and release the reference when they are done.. (freeing if it goes to 0).

the result is that since the firewall lock goes away, so does the lock
order reversal.