Re: no network access on today's CURRENT

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:25:30 -0500
On 3/22/07, Denis Shaposhnikov <dsh_at_vlink.ru> wrote:
> Something strange. I've rebuild CURRENT today and have nonfunctional
> network interfaces on SMP server with em(4). I can ping them from the
> console but not from a network. CURRENT from the 20.03 works fine.

I had a similar problem with rl(4), but thought it was due to the
wireless radio (wireless ISP) that was the cause of the problem due to
storms last night.  I did notice, while running tcpdump, that FreeBSD
was trying to obtain the mac address of the wireless radio, but the
radio wasn't responding. I then used 'arp -s <IP of wireless radio>
<MAC for wireless radio>'

This morning it still wasn't working, so I powercycled the radio, and
the ethernet switch.  I then noticed that the radio was now trying to
obtain the mac address of the FreeBSD system, but it wasn't
responding.  Tried ifconfig rl0 down/up of the interface and it still
wasn't sending out arp replies.  Rebooted the system, and now I can
access the internet thru this system.

hp010# uname -a
FreeBSD hp010.hetzel.org 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Mar
21 12:33:58 CDT 2007
root_at_hp010.hetzel.org:/usr/src/7x/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC.debug
amd64

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.