Re: no network access on today's CURRENT

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:50:07 -0500
On 3/22/07, Bruce M. Simpson <bms_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > I had a similar problem with rl(4), but thought it was due to the
> > wireless radio (wireless ISP) that was the cause of the problem due to
> > storms last night.  I did notice, while running tcpdump, that FreeBSD
> > was trying to obtain the mac address of the wireless radio, but the
> > radio wasn't responding. I then used 'arp -s <IP of wireless radio>
> > <MAC for wireless radio>'
> >
> > This morning it still wasn't working, so I powercycled the radio, and
> > the ethernet switch.  I then noticed that the radio was now trying to
> > obtain the mac address of the FreeBSD system, but it wasn't
> > responding.  Tried ifconfig rl0 down/up of the interface and it still
> > wasn't sending out arp replies.  Rebooted the system, and now I can
> > access the internet thru this system.
>
> Are you able to tcpdump at both ends when this happens? Please see my
> reply to Denis for more diagnostics which would be required.

I can only tcpdump from the 7.0-CURRENT system, or from the 6.x-STABLE
system.  The Wireless ISP made a change to the network, and I can only
get into the wireless router via a web interface, when it is not
connected to the wireless ISP.

 [7.0-CURRENT] <---> [10/100 SWITCH] <---> [wireless router] <-~~~->
Wireless ISP
 [6.x-STABLE] <--------------^

Note: the 6.x system wasn't powered on at the time this problem occured.

arp -an was only showing the MAC address of the rl0 interface.

tcpdump on rl0 was showing the wireless router arping for the MAC
address of rl0, but no response by rl0.

pinging the wireless router, tcpdump was showing rl0 arping for the
MAC address of the wireless router, but no response by wireless
router.

Currently the problem hasn't reoccured.

Scot

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.