Re: Improved INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:17:03 +1000
On 2007-Mar-25 23:55:26 -0500, Eric Anderson <anderson_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>On 03/25/07 09:34, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
>>strings `sysctl -n kern.bootfile` | grep ^___ | sed -e 's/^___//'
>>
>>should still work if it was in a .comment section
>
>Unless you no longer have the running kernel, or it has changed since
>the boot up of the system.  A sysctl knob to dump it is *very* useful.

Note that kern.bootfile will get updated during installkernel.  I also
can't think of a situation where I would have lost all copies of my
running kernel as well as the config file that was used to build it.
This could potentially happen if you ran two or more installkernels
without rebooting but I can't think of any reason why I would do that:
If a kernel builds, I am likely to try booting it before going onto
something else.  If a kernel doesn't build, it won't install.

Overall, having the config file loaded strikes me as a waste of RAM.

--
Peter Jeremy