Re: malloc(3) (hopefully) set for 7.0

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:51:56 +0200
Jason Evans wrote:

> I have developed some novel algorithms for essentially eliminating
> thread contention on SMP systems, but it is too late in the development
> cycle to introduce such changes (not to mention that I lack the hardware
>  to evaluate the algorithms).  Thanks again for your patience and
> support.  Please let me know if I can be of help in diagnosing suspected
> malloc issues.

First, thanks :)

Second, as a user, I'd really like if you could manage to implement
those ideas before 7.0, and here's why:

- The standard for new servers here is 4 cores (in various socket
arrangements), and we're not at all high-tech. This is likely to go up.
- If you include hyperthreading, even all *desktops* are SMPs! In short,
even including desktops, I haven't installed a UP kernel in about a year.
- It's too long to wait for 8.0 for something as important as this. As
far as I can see, 7.0 will be one of the "break as many things as you
need" releases (in the "good" sense, of course), so why not go for it.
Judging from past releases, "even" releases (4.x, 6.x) have been the
ones people trusted the most, so if you do get a glitch in 7.0 it won't
be as bad :) (of course, you can fix it in 7.1 :) )

Maybe you could borrow the 8CPU machine used for MySQL / filedesc tuning
jeffr and others have been using (of course, once they've finished...)?