Re: libfetch ftp patch for less latency

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:11:30 -0700
Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> The mainframe (z/OS) FTP server does not allow multiple
> "directories" in CWD command.
>
> This is due to the mapping of "directories" to flat file names
> in the z/OS dataset-name convention.
>
> So - while I can say:
>
>   ftp> cd RIVERS
>   ftp> cd TEST
>   ftp> cd OBJ
>
> which results in the current working "directory" being
> RIVERS.TEST.OBJ.  I cannot say
>
>   ftp> cd RIVERS/TEST/OBJ
>
> But, I _could_ say:
>
>   ftp> cd RIVERS.TEST.OBJ
>

> So - on "different" systems where the idea of "directory" has to
> be mapped onto a foreign filesystem, you can get interesting
> results.
>
> This may or may-not matter...  I was just citing an example.

The important thing is not whether that fails.  I'm fine with it
failing, as long as it 1) returns an error code and 2) doesn't change
the current directory.

An ftpd that 1) returned success or 2) changed to some random directory
while returning an error must be buggy.  Could you check your server?
It should return some error code and PWD should not change.

--
Nate