Re: libfetch ftp patch for less latency

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:30:26 +0200
Pieter de Goeje <pieter_at_degoeje.nl> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
> > No.  This is a violation of the FTP protocol.
> I'm reading rfc 959 right now, and it include examples of CWD with
> full pathname (multiple directories). Actually the rfc is kinda
> vague about this.

RFC959 does not require or guarantee that the path separator is /, nor
that "CD ../foo" does what you expect.  There are also issues when the
initial CWD is not / (the document part in an FTP URL is relative to
the initial CWD, not absolute)

Libfetch used to do what Nate suggests, and it was changed to the
current behaviour because we encountered servers in the field with
which it didn't work.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no