Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:41:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 1 May 2007, Peter Schuller wrote:

>> This does seem to eliminate the problem here too.
>
> It appears the problem persists, but is more difficult to trigger.
[stuff snipped]
> It takes on the order of several hours to trigger it.

I don't know if it relevent, but I've seen "kmem_map: too small" panics
when testing my NFSv4 server, ever since about FreeBSD5.4. There is no
problem running the same server code on FreeBSD4 (which is what I still
run in production mode) or OpenBSD3 or 4. If I increase the size of the
map, I can delay the panic for up to about two weeks of hard testing,
but it never goes away. I don't see any evidence of a memory leak during
the several days of testing leading up to the panic. (NFSv4 uses
MALLOC/FREE extensively for state related structures.)

So, I'm wondering if maybe there is some subtle bug in MALLOC/FREE (maybe
i386 specific, since that's what I test on)?

Anyhow, good luck with it, rick