Re: INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE patches

From: Wojciech A. Koszek <wkoszek_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 23:42:39 +0000
On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:54:19PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Wojciech A. Koszek wrote:
>  > We talked about improved INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE work some time ago. I
>  > cleaned it up, and I have prepared a patch for the latest -CURRENT.
>  >
>  > It's here:
>  >
>  >         http://people.freebsd.org/~wkoszek/patches/kernconf.patch
>  >
>  > If you have any suggestions, please let me know as I'd really like to
>  > see this patch into the tree before RELENG_7.
>
> I'm currently unable to test the patch (lack of a working
> 7-current machine), but I've had a closer look at the patch
> anyway.  Basically it looks very good.

Thanks,

> I just have one problem with it.  It seems that it doesn't
> preserve comments and the exact formatting of the config
> file, right?  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)  If that's
> true, that would be a regression.  The current behaviour
> (i.e. with "strings ... | sed ...") reproduces the exact
> configuration file, with comments and everything.

This patch addresses a problem:

"I used to have a proper kernel configuration file, everything seemed to
work just fine, but someone accidently deleted it from my server's disk"

or

"What did this strange guy put into that kernel image to make it work
correctly"

and similar cases people described earlier. Noone mentioned about a
comments issue.

We agreed it's a GENERIC-like feature, and even with optimized
config(8), people complained about memory problems.
Adding comments will make memory consumption even bigger. I'd like to
stay away from that.

How to handle comments in the included files? For "MAC" you get twice as
much text, as every file has a rather long description in it. This
problem isn't present in the current implemention, as we don't take the
"include" statements upon consideration.

Once you know what had been included into your configuration file before
accident, you can find respective comment into src/sys/<arch>/conf
directory.

I don't think comments are really all that important.

--
Wojciech A. Koszek
wkoszek_at_FreeBSD.org