Re: if_ath breaks s3 suspend/resume [Was: ACPI S3 wakeup problem (beeeeeeeeep)]

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:33:40 +0200
Quoting Louis Kowolowski <louisk_at_cryptomonkeys.com> (Tue, 8 May 2007 23:38:51 -0700):

> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 09:04:49PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
> > Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> > > Again, the fabulous handbook gave me the hint to remove all devices from
> > > the kernel and dynamically load them.
> > > This revealse if_ath as the culprit. (the last I tried after usb,
> > > fwohci, pcm, ichsmb)
> > >
> > > Could this be related to the interrupt strom problems with ath (I often
> > > get storm warnings, all drivers share IRQ9 on this laptop)?
> >
> > Unclear but there's been an outstanding complaint against ath related to
> > suspend for a while.  Specifically if you touch certain registers in the
> > h/w after the chip has been put to sleep you can hang the pci bus.  I've
> > asked people that can reproduce the problem to narrow down the code path
> > by which the driver is entered but w/o luck.
> >
> I don't know for sure, but I think I might be seeing a similar issue with
> atheros, but during bootup instead of suspend.  It's not reproducable in a
> reliable fashion, but sometimes I get a hang during bootup shortly after
> ath0 is brought up.  I also see an interupt storm on irq11, which I believe
> is also shared by ichsmb (at least on my Thinkpad T60p).

AOL! Very hard hang. I have to remove the power supply and the battery
from my laptop then. I also get a message sometimes on the console (Sam
knows about it). The IRQ is also shared with something else, I think (I
have to look this up).

> If there is more information I can make available, I'm more than willing.
> I'd like to provide a defined way to cause this, but it doesn't seem to
> happen in a "regular" way.  If anyone has suggestions on this, please share.

I can reproduce the message very easy. I just have to boot and wait
some minutes. For the hang I'm not sure how to reproduce it. It happens
sometimes. It also happens sometimes in WinXP, so it may be a hardware
problem, not a driver problem (but I don't want to rule this out).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Space tells matter how to move and matter tells space how to curve.
		-- Wheeler