Re: import nss_ldap, openldap in base?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:12:12 +0930
On Thursday 10 May 2007 12:06, LI Xin wrote:
> Patrick Dung wrote:
> > Personally I think that LDAP support out of the box is good (e.g
> > other OS already has LDAP support out of the box, get more users to
> > use it).
> >
> > We already have programs like bsnmp, pam_radius, Kerberos and OPIE
> > integrated/comes with the base OS. Is Openldap(client library, not
> > server), nss_ldap/pam_ldap support in base OS worth more attention?
>
> I think that importing the whole OpenLDAP client into base system
> as-is is useful, but that might be painful, because the development
> pace of OpenLDAP is fast and people do want bugfixes, etc. from newer
> OpenLDAP releases, so we should work carefully to avoid conflict
> between base OpenLDAP and port OpenLDAP.  So I think we may want what
> we did for libbsdxml (expat) if we really wanted to import the stuff
> into base system.

IMO if pam_ldap is on the first disk of a CD it counts as "out of the
box". From a user perspective it is right there and available if they
want to use it.

You could claim that pam_winbind should be imported too since I bet it's
used in more installations than pam_ldap.

As you can probably guess I am more inclined to remove things than keep
them in.. :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum