Re: HEADS UP: shared library bump, symbol versioning, libthr change

From: John Hay <jhay_at_meraka.org.za>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:40:22 +0200
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 08:31:54AM -0400, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2007 10:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
> Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> wrote:
>
> > Sometime this coming weekend (May 11-13), I'll be committing the
> > following patch:
> >
> >    http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/bump_symver.diffs.050207
> >
> > What does this do?
> >
> >    o All library versions that haven't already been bumped and
> >      that are not new to 7.0 will be bumped.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I always had a problem with wholesome bumpings like these. What is the
> justification for such a broad sweep? libc bump CAN NOT be made an
> excuse for cascaded bumps. FreeBSD does not record LIBC dependency into
> shared libraries themselves, so as long as libc sybols used by the
> shared library did not change ABI between libc.so.6 and libc.so.7, old
> shared libraries will happily work with both. If there are are symbols
> that are missing or have changed in libc.so.7 that prevent it from
> being a perfect superset of libc.so.6, can we consider adding them back
> instead, with FBSD_1.0 version and making changed symbols FBSD_1.1 or
> some such? Sure, this will break older unversioned -current binaries as
> they will start resolving to FBSD_1.0 symbols, but your bump will
> obsolete them too, so -current users will need to recompile either way.
>
> I always thought that original LIBC bump was a mistake.
>
> Please consider this an objection until this matter is discussed in
> more detail.

Between libpthread.so.2, libc.so.6 and libc.so.7 there is enough change
to make programs compiled for 6.x not work on -current. Some examples
are the diablo java package (for 6.1) available from the FreeBSD
Foundation site (http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml)
and the 6.x openoffice packages available from
http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/

I'm not for or against bumping, only for unbreaking. :-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay_at_meraka.csir.co.za / jhay_at_FreeBSD.org