Re: MacBook patches

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 23:45:49 -0400
On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 16:39 +0100, Rui Paulo wrote:
> Hi,
> Attached are the work I've done so far for my Summer of Code
> project. If you have a MacBook and are willing to spend some time
> build -current with these patches and testing, here's what you should
> know:
>
> 1) Grab the patch a
> 	http://fnop.net/~rpaulo/freebsd/macbook.diff
> 2) Apply it to today's -current
> 3) Build a kernel.

Very cool.

> Load three modules: backlight, msrtemp, cpufreq (est).
> The only one that shouldn't work out of the box on MacBook Pro's
> backlight.
>
> backlight controls the LCD backlight. You should have
> hw.backlight.{enable,value} after loading the module.
> Play with it to see if it works. I didn't test MacBook Core 2 Duo, but
> it should work.
> I have a feeling that it should be very easy to make it work for the
> MacBook Pro, but contact me if you need help.

Actually, it's not so easy.  This driver operates directly on the Intel
915 card in the MacBook.  The MacBook Pro uses an ATI card.  While you
can configure the driver to recognize the ATI card, the backlight code
does not work.  There is a utility (userland) at
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mactel-linux/trunk/backlight that does
this via memmapping on the ATI card.

> msrtemp displays the Cores temperature.
> There should be N new sysctls, one for each CPU. For example:
>
> $ sysctl dev.cpu.{0,1}.temperature
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 53
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 53

This seems to work on my Core Duo Pro: