Re: Experiences with 7.0-CURRENT and vmware.

From: Bert JW Regeer <xistence_at_0x58.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 11:47:25 -0700
On May 10, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Darren Reed wrote:

> [...]
>
>> But if if_em is probing, it suggests a VMware
>> change rather than a FreeBSD change, which you may be able to
>> revert by
>> telling it to expose a Lance-style device as opposed to an Intel
>> device.
>
> There's no way to choose the type of card vmware emulates.

I always set my VMWare to expose an intel e1000 card, which gets
probed correctly by almost all systems, even Windows with the Intel
drivers installed. In your .vmx file you should find a line like this:

ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000"

If VMWare is to give an em device, if you remove that line it should
default back to lnc driver.

That being said, I have had no performance problems with the em
driver on FreeBSD 6.0 in VMWare, and have not had the timeout
problems you mentioned.

> Darren

Bert JW Regeer