HEADS UP: gcc 4.2 import

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:03:18 -0400
FYI, kan_at_ is planning to import the gcc 4.2 compiler tomorrow night.

This has been through *lots* of testing so it should hopefully be
pretty straightforward (as far as major changes go), but there is
always the possibility of undetected bugs.  It will cause a lot of
package builds to fail (about 500-600 depending on architecture).
Chances are if you are the maintainer of such a port you have received
one or more emails from me about it over the past 6 months.

It is not strictly necessary to rebuild your ports after making world
with the new compiler, but new binaries may require it since they will
be linked to a mixed set of libraries.  Besides, the conjunction of
symbol versioning, gcc 4.2 and xorg 7.2 means that you'll most likely
have to recompile everything anyway - I recommend waiting until the
xorg 7.2 import takes place and using precompiled packages when they
become available (i.e. portupgrade -faP).

We have tried to time the conjunction of these events as best we could
to avoid multiple disruptions to -current users, but there will still
be a short delay as we wait for more ports committers to test the xorg
upgrade before unleashing it on CVS.  If you are a ports committer and
have not yet reported your build results: we are all waiting for you.

ia64 will require some catch-up kernel work to become functional after
the import, due to what seems to be missing emulation of some new
features used by gcc 4.2.

Kris