Re: We don't really need two FTP daemons

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_tower.berklix.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:02:03 +0200
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:17:55PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> > "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs_at_tower.berklix.net> writes:
> > > Someone asked whether lukemftpd offered functionality other(s) don't ?
> > > What about proxy ?
> > >
> > > I've never been sure which ftpd to run on my gateway (with IPFW, with n=
> o NAT)
> > > to provide proxy, so internal hosts could cd /usr/ports; make fetch
> >=20
> > You don't need a proxy.  Do the following on each internal host:
> >=20
> > # echo 'FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=3DYES' >>/etc/profile

Thanks Dag-Erling,
To make sure, I've just added FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES to my /etc/profile
though I've long had in my csh :
	printenv | grep -i FTP | sort
		FTPSERVER=gate.jhs.private
		FTP_LOGIN=ftp
		FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
		FTP_PASSWORD=jhs_at_berklix.net
		PACKAGEROOT=ftp://ftp
		ftp_proxy=ftp://gate.jhs.private:21
	printenv | grep -i http | sort
		WWW_HOME=http://gate.jhs.private
		all_proxy=http://gate.jhs.private
		http_proxy=http://gate.jhs.private:80
But it just occured to me as long shot, that when fetch does a system()
or fork() it may invoke sh not csh, so I need to check again what env vars
fetch inherits (though I recall it inherited OK last I looked).

> actually, if the internal hosts use RFC1918 addresses this wouldn't
> suffice. He really needs either ftp proxy (and redirect all ftp traffic
> to it) or NAT.

Thanks Buki, Yes, that's what I'd thought too: I do need an ftpd proxy too.
I still need to know which ftpd is good for proxy & how to config to it ?
( My guess is many people use NAT, which is why not so many know /reply
re. ftpd proxy ? )

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.  Dump cigs: Try snuff.