HEADS UP: OpenSSL problems after GCC 4.2 upgrade

From: Alexander Kabaev <kabaev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 02:27:22 -0400
Hi all,

there were several reports of OpenSSL being broken when compiled with
GCC 4.2. It turns out OpenSSL uses function casting feature that was
aggressively de-supported by GCC 4.2 and GCC goes as far as inserting
invalid instructions ON PURPOSE to discourage the practice.

Consequently, OpenSSL need the patch similar to attached one to work.
Just in case mailing list will eat the attachment, the patch can be
found at

http://people.freebsd.org/~kan/openssl-gcc42.diff

Unfortunately, our OpenSSL maintainer(s) are currently en-route from
BSDCan and cannot attend to the matters. Once we figure the best way to
fix the code and to integrate the fix into OpenSSL, we will check the
fix info CVS. People are advised to patch their sources locally until
then.

--
Alexander Kabaev