Re: strange "Exec format error" (gcc4.2 suspicious)

From: Wes Morgan <morganw_at_chemikals.org>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 21:35:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 20 May 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 09:07:24PM -0400, Wes Morgan wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 May 2007, Alexander Kabaev wrote:

>>> Samba auto-detected -fpie support in GCC 4.3 and tried to use it.
>>> FreeBSD kernel does not know how to deal with binaries created by this
>>> option yet, so it freaks out.
>>>
>>> Add --disable-pie to CONFIGURE_ARGS in sambe3 port for now.
>>
>> This same problem exists for kdelibs3, maybe other kde ports
>> (investigating now).
>
> Are you sure, they do not appear to compile with -fPIE.

kdelibs and kdebase compile several binaries with -pie:

start_kdeinit (kdelibs)
kgrantpty (kdelibs)
kpac_dhcp_helper (kdelibs)
kcheckpass (kdebase)
kdesud (kdebase)

Running "find . -name Makefile | xargs grep '(KDE_USE_PIE)'" will track
them down for you:

./kcheckpass/Makefile:kcheckpass_LDFLAGS = $(KDE_USE_PIE) $(all_libraries)

Passing --disable-pie forces KDE_USE_PIE blank as would be expected. I
haven't searched any other of the kde ports yet.