Re: 8 cores of fun

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 22:06:22 -0400
On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 08:32:25PM -0400, Walter Vaughan wrote:
> I've got a few days to experiment with an 8 core box, and someone pointed
> this page out to me http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/mysql.html
> before I purchased the box.
>
> Looking at the patch http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/tophalf.diff it
> doesn't appear to be patchable with 7-CURRENT.

A more scalable alternative was committed a while ago.

> What I am interested in is Hi-speed Java (really wanted to work with Java6)
> and Postgresql-8.2.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers for optimizing Posgresql & Java on AMD-64
> with 8 cores?

I have not used java, but would be very interested to see how it goes.
The most important thing to do with pgsql is disable the process title
updating (there is a config option in 8.2).  Also use ULE with
sched.kern.pick_pri=0.

Comparisons against other OSes on a suitably interesting benchmark are
most useful to us, otherwise if you have a particular workload and
performance expectation we can try to work with that.

Kris