Re: HEADS UP: OpenSSL problems after GCC 4.2 upgrade

From: Beech Rintoul <beech_at_alaskaparadise.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:54:16 -0800
On Monday 21 May 2007, Simon L. Nielsen said:
> On 2007.05.20 02:27:22 -0400, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> > there were several reports of OpenSSL being broken when compiled
> > with GCC 4.2. It turns out OpenSSL uses function casting feature
> > that was aggressively de-supported by GCC 4.2 and GCC goes as far
> > as inserting invalid instructions ON PURPOSE to discourage the
> > practice.
>
> "Interesting" choice - oh well.
>
> > Consequently, OpenSSL need the patch similar to attached one to
> > work. Just in case mailing list will eat the attachment, the
> > patch can be found at
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~kan/openssl-gcc42.diff
> >
> > Unfortunately, our OpenSSL maintainer(s) are currently en-route
> > from BSDCan and cannot attend to the matters. Once we figure the
> > best way to fix the code and to integrate the fix into OpenSSL,
> > we will check the fix info CVS. People are advised to patch their
> > sources locally until then.
>
> I had hoped to be able to test and commit today, but I'm too beat
> from the trip from Canada to be able to do this until tomorrow
> (it's very high in the priority list to get this done tomorrow but
> I don't know how hard the jet lag will hit this time).
>
> I haven't seen enough reports of this patch working to be really
> comfortable committing the patch without having had a chance to try
> it myself.
>
> Other people who try this patch please report any success/failure.
> Success can also just be reported in private mail.
>
> Oh, and in case people were wondering - I'm not a "vendor branch
> purist" wrt. OpenSSL, so getting the patch commited once I'm sure
> it is OK isn't a problem.
>
> Alexander, thanks a lot for looking at this!

I applied the patch and it did fix the problem for me. I would call it
a success.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech_at_alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html