Re: Problem compiling xorg-server{-snap} on recent -CURRENT

From: Alex Dupre <ale_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 08:08:44 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> My build of xorg-server died. The box ran out of swap space. I have
>> 512M RAM + 1G swap. Someone please tell me this is a glitch in the new
>> gcc. I don't want to add ram just to be able to compile a simple
>> program. :)
>
> The quick fix is to build at a lower optimization level.  Advanced
> optimizations can be very memory-consuming, especially when compiling
> unusually large source files, or source files which contain unusually
> large functions.

I confirm the issue and the fix with latest -CURRENT (gcc 4.2 and symbol
versioning). I have less RAM and swap than Michiel, and 800MB of total
memory are not enough to build xf86scanpci.c with default CFLAGS (and
even with less aggressive -O). I had to remove completely the
optimization flag, but only for this single source file, all the rest
can be compiled with -O2.

--
Alex Dupre