Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Vince <jhary_at_unsane.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:01:17 +0100
Darren Reed wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 04:40:31PM +0100, Vince wrote:
>> I dont suppose that there are any other tunables people could suggest? I
>> got a shiny new(well old but new to me) dual opteron board and dual 250
>> sata drives and though i'd try putting it in as my home server with
>> everything but / on zfs since i've had my /usr/ports on my laptop as
>> compressed zfs since very shortly after it was commited.
>> 	After a few kmem_map: too small" panics I re-read this thread and put
>> vm.kmem_size_max and vm.kmem_size up to 512M and vfs.zfs.arc_min
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max down to 65 megs. This did get me past "portsnap extract"
>> but a make buildworld still got me the same panic.  vmstat -z showed a
>> steady growth. This is with a generic -CURRENT from friday. I'm happy to
>> provide any useful information once I get home and reboot it.
>
> Are you running the opterons with a 32 or 64 bit kernel?
>
> I set vfs.zfs.arc_max to somewhere between 75% and 80% of vm.kmem_size_max.

I'm running i386 more because I had a i386 CD lying around to install
from and wont be using more than 3Gigs of RAM, than through informed
choice. It looks like  setting  kern.maxvnodes=50000 has solved it for now.

(after almost a day of uptime including building world and adding the
2nd disk to the zfs mirror)
[root_at_crab ~]# vmstat -m | grep sol
solaris 188066 139903K       - 164899933
16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096

I may reinstall at a later date as this is still very much a box to play
with, but I gather there is no great gain from going 64 bit other than
not having to play with PAE if you've got lots or RAM.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions,

Vince