Re: zfs root is not mounted automatically

From: <freebsd.ruomad_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:33:09 +0200
Selon Barry Pederson <bp_at_barryp.org>:

> (not
> >> that I cannot live with verbose dmesg, but...)
> >>
> >> I'll look into this once I'm back from BSDCan.
> >>

> > Hello Pawel,
> >
> > I rebuilded everything (thanks to gcc 4.2) : world and ports.
> > The problem remains and has sort of grown worse as now even the verbose
> boot
> > does not result in my root being mounted properly (automatically).
> >
> > Do you have a clue or some idea of what I can test now to help solving this
> > problem.
> > Am I the only one to see this ?
>
> Bruno:
>
> So does it mount OK after you manually enter the root?
>
> I'm having a problem very frequently where it picks up the
>
>     zfs_load="YES"
>     vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:tank/root"
>
> OK in the loader, but hangs when booting at:
> .
> WARNING: ZFS is considered to be an experimental feature in FreeBSD
> ZFS filesystem version 6
> ZFS storage pool version 6
> Trying to mount root from zfs:tank/root
> ------
>
> and then it just sits there.  But on other occasions, it gets past that
> and boots fine.  This is without recompiling or anything - so I'm not
> sure what's changing (LOR?)
>
> Anyhow, not sure if that's the same what you're seeing, but I thought
> I'd mention it.

Not sure if it's the same ?
The point is that the I get the messgaes
   Trying to mount root from zfs:tank/root
and the mountroot> prompt
BEFORE the following messages
   ZFS filesystem version 6
   ZFS storage pool version 6

If I enter : zfs:system at the prompt, it boots allright.
On occasions, booting in verbose mode, I got the "version 6" messages before
trying to mount root, and then everything just works fine.
It's not the case since my last buildworld though :(

Bruno