Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Daniel Rock <freebsd_at_deadcafe.de>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:37:45 +0200
Kris Kennaway schrieb:

> Not entirely, because solaris also runs on i386 (this is what was
> confusing me).  I guess the answer is that ZFS has similar issues on
> Solaris i386 that it did on FreeBSD i386.

Yes, I can confirm that.

I'm running 32-bit Solaris 10 with 2GB RAM and occasionally even after only
moderate activity on ZFS the machine would hang. ping etc. would still be
answered but every filesystem activity would hang.

At one instance the machine recovered after approx. 60 minutes, but most of
the time I had to hard-reset the machine.

In Solaris the solution was simple. Give the kernel more address space. I
raised the kernel address space from the default 512MB to 2GB, and now the
machine runs stable:

		eeprom kernelbase=0x80000000

This will reduce the useable address space of user processes though.

Daniel