Re: size of kernel after gcc4.2 upgrade

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 13:55:50 +0200
Roman Divacky wrote:

> ie. after gcc42 import the kernel size increased roughly by 60% thats
> a little too much. is there any forgotten option or something that
> makes the kernel grow so big?

Ouch, I've just got bitten by this. I'm trying to update a 6.x machine
to 7-current, and couldn't install the kernel because there's no space
for in on the root file system. This is an old-style root file system of
256 MB. By fiddling around I've managed to free enough space, and I see
now that my new /boot/kernel's size is 106 MB! This means I can't hold
both kernel and kernel.old on the root file system.

This may need to be addressed in upgrade documents. (And others - for
example, tuning(7) still implicitly recommends a 128 MB root file system).