Re: Xorg 7.2 update

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:40:56 +0300
On 2007-05-28 09:47, Andreas Klemm <andreas_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> 1st of all, thanks for providing 7.2 in the tree !

Well said.  The Ports team and the people who did the pretest runs with
the xorg update, before it was even committed, are the ones who deserve
all the thanks.  Thank you all guys :)

> I had another little problem with xorg. While you did an upgrade
> installation, I nuked all of my ports and started over.
>
> I discovered, that an installation by compiling all myself failed
> very early.
>
> Its easily to reproduce by installing on a vanilla empty system.
>
> Sorry I didn't save the error message.

Oh I did both :)

First I tried "pkg_delete *", and rebuild everything.  One tricky part
here is that despite the fact that _nothing_ is installed, you have to
export XORG_UPGRADE='yes' in the environment before building from
scratch.  It's kind of unintuitive that you have to specify _UPGRADE_
for a clean installation, but it works fine.

Then, I updated my ports tree again, after a couple of days:

    portsnap fetch update

and rebuilt everything with:

    portupgrade -vu -N -ar

A new version of the freetype2 port triggered a full xorg update, this
time using portupgrade.  XORG_UPGRADE='yes' is still required in the
running environment.

It's hard to guess without seeing the exact error message, but if it was
related to `x11/xorg-libraries', then you were probably bitten by the
lack of $XORG_UPGRADE in the environment.  If you do repeat the build,
can you try catching any errors inside a script(1) session?  That would
be nice to have :)

- Giorgos