Re: Xorg 7.2 update

From: David Benfell <benfell_at_parts-unknown.org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 17:34:58 -0700
On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:52:24 -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:03:42PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> This particular upgrade process has produced a great deal of strain on the
> ports committers and our users.  Almost everyone has been incredibly patient
> as we try to get all the issues sorted out.  I can only ask everybody else
> to try to do the same.

It's a tough upgrade.  And looking at it from the perspective of someone
who was a programmer twenty-plus years ago, I would have to say that it is
somewhat amazing that this upgrade is as smooth as it was.

It could have been a *lot* worse.

One of the problems I think I had was that I jumped into the upgrade at the
same time as everyone else, and that I failed to get all the packages on the
first try.  So I went through a couple iterations of portmanager -f -u -y to
get everything, I think.

I now have a functioning Xorg 7.2, but I still get an error whenever I or any
of my port upgrade tools hits xorg-libraries.  I have included the UPDATE_XORG
(or whatever) variable both in /etc/make.conf and in the environment whenever
I run these tools.  The result is always the same, an error during make fetch
saying I need to see /usr/ports/UPGRADING that doesn't really tell me how to
deal with an already borked upgrade.

I'm not terribly worried about it; as I said, I have a functioning system, and
I must *somehow* have gotten xorg-libraries reinstalled because I actually
deleted that package (using pkg_delete) along the way.  I'm guessing it reacts
even to the presence of the sym-link for /usr/X11R6.

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell_at_parts-unknown.org