Re: New driver coming soon.

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:19:44 -0700
On 5/31/07, Christian Brueffer <brueffer_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 05:51:35PM -0700, Jack Vogel wrote:
> > I wanted to let everyone know that I will soon have a
> > new 10G driver to add to the tree. It is a PCI Express
> > MSI/X adapter, I would like to call this driver 'ix' rather
> > than follow Linux who are calling it 'ixgbe'. It is not
> > backwardly compatible with ixgb.   Any objections
> > to the name? It would be nice to get this in before
> > 7 becomes a RELEASE, what time frame do I
> > have for that?
> >

> Hi Jack,
>
> will the new driver support the hardware that ixgb(4) currently supports,
> e.g. will it replace ixgb(4)?  If yes, I'd like the name ixgb to stay.

No, new driver is exclusively for the new PCI-E family, I suppose it
would be possible to make a combined driver, but its such a different
beast that its cleaner to just have a new driver.

ixgb can stay as is, I own that driver inside Intel as well, but our
FreeBSD customer base has been miniscule so not much has
been done to the code, maybe someday in my spare time :)

Cheers,

Jack