Re: Video4Linux header files

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_icir.org>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 21:42:59 -0000
On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 11:24:34PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Saturday 19 May 2007 21:14, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > - i don't know how problematic is this, but v4l2 headers seem to use
> >   unnamed unions which, last time i tried, conflict with the compiler
> >   setting used to build the kernel. While this is possibly an orthogonal
> >   problem which we may have to address at some point (as unnamed unions
> >   seem to be a common paradigm in linux headers), it is yet another hurdle.
>
> Unnamed unions are not so good. I suggest that we terminate unnamed unions
> with an "u".

It is not our choice. Linux v4l2 headers use these unions,
software is written against these headers, we can't change the
names unless we want to make extensive changes to the sources.

> > I suppose a suitable plan would be the following, but i have not had
> > the time to work on it:
> >
> > 1. add a v4lcompat build-dependency on the ports potentially affected,
> >    making sure they still build correctly using v4l1
> > 2. add v4l1 headers in the base system (possibly changing the v4lcompat
> >    port to not install the headers if they are already in the base system);
>
> I want to put a V4L2.0 "videodev.h" under /usr/src/sys/sys/ with some
> modifications. What do you think about that?

All the constraints i mentioned in the original email still apply.
First you need to address the unnamed unions problem, then
you will have to deal with a significant amount of breakage in
the ports.

> > 3. modify the vl4compat port to add the v4l2 headers, again fixing
> >    any breakage in the builds
> > 4. as in step 2, add the v4l2 headers to the system, changing v4lcompat
> >    as needed where the v4l* headers are in the base OS
> >

> Does anyone know which ports use the current Linux compat layer port and the
> v4lcompat port ?

There is some magic port script you can run on the ports tree to get the list
of ports which depend on v4lcompat. But the problem, as i tried to
explain in the original message, is that there are ports which don't
have a v4lcompat dependency while they should (at least to have a
consistent build environment) and others which misbehave when they find
a v4l header.

> PS: The Linux compat port is broken on FreeBSD-current, because "msleep" is
> being re-defined.

yes, i noticed.

	cheers
	luigi