Re: regression with gmirror, Promise SATA and 7.0 ?

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:52:06 +0100
On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 03:09:45PM +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried to switch my home server from a 6.3-PRERELEASE to the latest
> 7.0-BETA1.5-i386-disc1.iso.
>
> I have loopback-mounted the iso and unarchived the base and kernel to a new
> gmirrored partition hosted on two "Seagate ST3250823AS" SATA disks connected
> via a "Promise PDC40518 SATA150" controller.
>
> after rebooting to the new "current" gmirror partition, any disk access gives
> errors such as :
> ad6: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=58616578
> ad6: FAILURE - device detached
> subdisk6: detached
> ad6: detached
> GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot write metadata on ad6s3 (device=gm0s3, error=6).
> GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot update metadata on disk ad6s3 (error=6).
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s4: provider ad6s4 disconnected.
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s2: provider ad6s2 disconnected.
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s1: provider ad6s1 disconnected.
> ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing
> request directly
> ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing
> request directly
> ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
> request directly
> ad10: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
> request directly
> ad10: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=62894473
> GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot update metadata on disk ad6s3 (error=6).
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s3: provider ad6s3 disconnected.
> g_vfs_done():mirror/gm0s3f[READ(offset=5429510144, length=65536)]error = 6
> vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error
>
> The same ad6 and ad10 disks are presently used under 6.x without any (visbile)
> errors (and have been for more than one year).
>
> Thus, it seems that the combination of this Promise controller and the SATA
> disks has issues (there was a thread about Promise controllers and ZFS, but
> with no clear conclusion).

Just to clarify. There is no regression in gmirror. This is ATA
problem/bug, which was reported so many times already.

> PS : I was also burnt by the forced conversion of gmirror metadata from v3 to
> v4, which makes it tricky to backtrack to 6.x, once a 7.x kernel + gmirror
> has been booted once.

I'm not happy with with metadata auto-upgrade, but it just makes things
so much easier. You can always boot your 6.x to single-user mode using
disk directly (it should not change anything on disk) and just run
'gmirror label' again.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org