Re: sata atapi on ich9r

From: sam <samira.nox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:04:40 +0100
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:46:33 +0100, Aryeh M. Friedman
<aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> samira wrote:
>> hi
>>

>> I have some problem using sata atapi devices on my gigabyte p35-ds4.
>
> First of all p35 (ihc9r) have many known problems in this area (just for
> reference I have a msi neon-f p35 mobo w/ e6850, 4 gig and 2 sata + 1
> pata device).
>
> When I first got the machine back in august it had all kinds of issues
> (do a search of -questions and -current to see them all).  Most of the
> critical ones have been resolved post -current version fork.
>>
>> The controller is in ahci mode. There are two kinds of dvd-devices
>>  1). DVDROM <ASUS DVD-E616A3T/1.11>
>>  2). DVDR <Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S/1.00>
>> System is a 7.0-BETA2.
>
> What kind of processor and is the kernel/bases system i386 or amd64?

The cpu is
   CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 _at_ 2.66GHz (2666.68-MHz 686-class
CPU)
installed bsd is a i386.

> Are you SATA/300 devices reported as SATA/150 and/or UDMA33?

ad4: 305244MB <WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 12.01B02> at ata2-master SATA300
ad6: 305244MB <WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 12.01B02> at ata3-master SATA300
ad8: 238475MB <WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 02.01C03> at ata4-master SATA300
acd0: DVDROM <ASUS DVD-E616A3T/1.11> at ata5-master SATA150
acd1: DVDROM <ASUS DVD-E616A3T/1.11> at ata6-master SATA150
acd2: DVDR <Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S/1.00> at ata7-master SATA150

What I find kind of strange too, is that the first harddisk, which
is plugged into sata0, is called ad4.. but never mind. If I enable
the jmicron controller, which is also on the bord, the harddisk gets
even ad10...

> Does it reconize any PATA devices you may have?

Don't have any.

> The only solution I was found was to use 8-current (i.e. from late sept
> on wards stuff worked fine [but only after the version fork]).   BTW my
> SATA/300 devices are still reported as SATA/150 and the PATA device is
> not seen at all.

>> If I have "atapicam" in the kernel, the system freezes at boot, well
>> not exactly freezing, but giving
>>  acd0: FAILURE - INQURY timed out
>>  acd0: FAILURE - INQURY timed out
>> over and over, where acd0 is one of the asus dvd drives.
>
> Same issue on amd64 beta 1.5 for me (but i386 worked fine [I had to do
> open heart surgery to switch it to amd64 [note 1]])
>>
>> Removing atapicam from kernel does help. I can boot, provided there
>> are no cds/dvds in the drives.
>>
>> But trying to play a dvd fails with
>>  acd0: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout -
>> completing request directly
>>  acd0: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout -
>> completing request directly
>>  acd0: FAILURE - SEND_KEY timed out
>>  acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG timed out
>> no matter, if I try on optiarc/asus.
>
> Is this true even if you have boot from cd in the cmos?
Will try this.

>> I can mount data cds. But the system freezes for about one minute
>> when doing so.
>
> I have not experienced this but then again I never tried it ;-)
>
> Note to the development team:   No I was not tripping when I reported
> these same issues just unable to provide proof
>
> Note to sam: Do you have any development experience if so I invite you
> to help me in my current project to patch the ata driver to fix all
> these issues (the ata developer told me since he doesn't have access to
> a ich9r/p35 system no patch and/or cvsup would be forth coming on these
> issues)... I am also a developer but at the moment am very tied up with
> making a living so I will give what help I can but can't do the whole
> project alone

Unfortunately I haven't any experience in this kind of development.