Re: ZFS Hangs

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:48:17 +0100
> For example, pkg_delete seems to be _extremely_ slow and ^T reports that
> it is stuck waiting on zfs:(&zio->io_cv) for an unreasonable (IMO) amount
> of time.

FWIW, I have seen pkg_install (and possibly other pkg_* tools) being extremely
slow seemingly as a result of the active set of files it touches exceededing
the amount cached. In particular I had this problem after converting to ZFS,
but prior to switching to amd64 and more RAM.

It would sit and churn on disk I/O forever, entirely seek bound. Tracing the
processes showed it traversing the package database over and over (presumably
recursively following dependencies or some such). So the same files were
touched any number of times. As a result, with too little cached, runtime
exploded (it took hours and hours upgrading my desktop using *binary*
pre-built packages because the larger packages with a lot of dependencies
would take forever to install and delete).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org