Re: ZFS Hangs

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:02:08 +0100
> It certainly could be a caching effect but the particular problem you
> were seeing should have been fixed.  Are you still seeing it?

I am not still seeing it; the machine has since been switched to AMD 64, and
RAM increased from 1 GB to 3 GB (and FreeBSD itself upgraded several times
since then). I did not look into it in terrible detail; I just observed by
tracing that the I/O in question was definitely the package database, and
that it was definitely accessing the same files mutiple times. I assumed it
was a caching effect at the time, given all the maxvnode tweaking and sizing
restrictions put on the ARC. I do know I never saw it after the memory
increase.

Also, this might have been prior to disabling prefetch. If it was, perhaps the
prefetch hosed the cache. (Are the prefetch issues still there, anyone?)

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org