Re: /usr/share/man/man8/MAKEDEV.8

From: Alex Kozlov <spam_at_rm-rf.kiev.ua>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 16:07:38 +0200
On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:03:04AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 02:10:40PM +0200, Alex Kozlov wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 01:48:54PM -0400, Andrew Lankford wrote:
> > >   2) getting rid of catman and forcing man to generate a new one from
> > > scratch each time instead of filling up /usr/share/man/cat* with stale
> > > files.  Is this going to be a big drain on a p4-era pc compared to
> > > something like another periodic.conf script?
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > >   3) A compile or run-time option that disables catman as described above.
> > > If I knew of one, I'd enable it without a second thought on my cutting
> > > edge p3 desktop :)
> > Put weekly_catman_enable="NO" in your /etc/periodic.conf
> It defaults to "no".
>
> Regardless, I think you miss Andrew's point.  AFAIK, there isn't any way
> to disable automatic creation of catman pages when "man" is run as root.
In all honesty, I forgot about that. I don't work under root.

> Being able to disable that feature would ultimately solve this issue
> for those of us who don't want it (this thread has already mentioned
> the problems with it).
Relatively easy to add a new man option to disable creation of cat files.
But I starting to think, that may be better disable this feature by default.
Anyway, it work only in rare case, when man run under root.

Or it will be serious POLA violation?

--
Adios