Re: FreeBSD-6.2, 7.0-BETA1 boot on Lenovo X60

From: Alexandre \ <alex.kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:14:38 -0500
On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 23:49 +0800, Balgansuren Batsukh wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Last few days I try to boot FreeBSD-6.2, 7.0-BETA1 boot CD using USB CDROM
> drive on Lenovo X60.
>
> It give kind of assembler code non-stop flow over screen.
>
> Can't boot system and some times give BTX halted message after CPU register
> code ES=....,....
>
> Is there any way to boot/install FreeBSD-6.2/7.0-BETA on X60?

If you have another box on the network, PXE is the way to go. I have
used it to troubleshoot my X60, when I have rendered it unbootable,
enough times to justify time spent. I have acquired UltraBase since
then, but it is still *much more convenient* to boot with PXE in need.

Below are relevant pieces of the information from the server (its name
is 'twinhead', its IP is 10.0.3.236 and install CD is copied into
'/SHARED/tftpboot', tftp user with access to the setup is named 'sunny'
-- you will have to adjust it accordingly):

======================= excerpt from /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf (I am
using isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2):

server-name "twinhead";
server-identifier 10.0.3.236;
next-server 10.0.3.236;

# This is a very basic subnet declaration.

subnet 10.0.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.0.3.33 10.0.3.64;
  option routers 10.0.3.242;
  option domain-name-servers 10.0.3.242;
  option root-path "/SHARED/tftpboot";
  filename "boot/pxeboot";
}

======================== /SHARED/tftpboot/boot/loader.rc
echo Loading Kernel...
load /boot/kernel/kernel
echo Loading mfsroot...
load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
echo booting...
echo \007\007
echo initializing h0h0magic...
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
boot

======================== excerpt from /etc/inetd.conf
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -u
sunny -l -s /SHARED/tftpboot

I have also gunzip'ed /SHARED/tftpboot/boot/mfsroot.gz and placed it
into /SHARED/tftpboot/.

I don't think there was much else needed doing before you can attempt
booting your X60. Once you boot, you can switch to FTP install, so
version, you are booting from, does not need exactly match whatever you
want installed.

Note: you need to make sure there are no other active DHCP servers on
your network -- I have spend few hours hunting down that one ;)