Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread' at line 382 in file /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_init.c (errno = 12)

From: David Benfell <benfell_at_parts-unknown.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:15:48 -0800
Hello all,

I have tried rebuilding ports numerous times, and I can't seem to get rid
of this error:

Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread' at line 382 in file /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_init.c (errno = 12)

I can't even get into X (xfce-session is affected) and now the problem seems
to be spreading, affecting lynx.

I have a couple questions here.  First, if I understand correctly, this error
indicates that I have binaries linked against two versions of a threading
library.  How can this not be a bug in the port/build configuration?  Second,
how do I make this go away?  Third, I have a lot of ports that won't build;
how do I fix this?

A considerable amount of information about the system--everything I could
think of that might be relevant--is available at:

<http://www.parts-unknown.org/systems/earth.cybernude.org/>

Look in the .html file for more than just a list of packages.

Thanks!

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell_at_parts-unknown.org