Re: [RFI] status of the nVidia requested kernel mods

From: Attilio Rao <attilio_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:36:17 +0100
2007/11/6, Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>:
> A while ago nVidia requested some major mods to mmap and a few other
> memory related issues in the kernel does anyone know the current status
> of these issues (the wiki still lists them as pending but I just wanted
> to know if that was just due to lack of updated of the wiki).... the
> reason for asking is I would like to take "ownership" of the issue set
> (looking for a good kernel project not being done by half a dozen other
> people)

If you look at:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

you can easilly check that the work seems splitted in 5 points.
Let's say that #5 should be addressed by recent kib_at_'s work about
fdclone (for a better overwiev please look at:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2007-October/007015.html
).

The state of other tasks is a little bit floating.
For example, pmap_mapdev_attr() and pmap_change_attr() are fully
working on FreeBSD-i386, but currently support for large pages is
missing. These should be addressed through superpages work, so I
strongly suggest you to check with alc_at_ about them and to ping him
about his further superpages plans.

In the end, maybe you should concentrate mainly about #2 and #4.
As evicted by private discussions with Christian Zander, nVidia
doesn't really have preference for the KPI, so you can choose what you
feel more appropriate, according with kib and alc (CC'ed).

Good luck,
Attilio