Re: [RFT] Intel 3945abg wireless driver (wpi)

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:18:09 -0800
Frank Staals wrote:
> Benjamin Close wrote:
>> Frank Staals wrote:
> <snip>
>>>

>>> Everything works fine with the connection itself. Allthough
>>> sometimes when switching from tty9 to tty0 and back the system locks
>>> up. I've had it before when switching  from tty1 to tty0. Anyone
>>> with the same problems ?
>>>
>>> Anyway; Great work on the driver so far :D
>>>
>> I've similar issues and believe it might be due to the amount of
>> kernel printfs that are happening. Can you sysctl debug.wpi=0  and
>> see if the problem still exists?
>> By chance are you using ZFS? I caught a memory modified after free
>> panic in zfs the other day pid was from syslogd. I'm trying to work
>> out if it's related.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    Benjamin
>>
> When setting debug.wpi to 0 it seems like the problem is gone. I'm not
> using ZFS by the way.  I did have a problem connecting to the AP at my
> university though; the driver wouldn't assosicate whatever I tried. I
> didn't have a chance to do some extensive testing though. It might be
> because of the WEP+wpa_supplicant + ca certificate method that is
> required to authenticate. Anyway I'll let it know if there is an
> actual problem with the driver itself

Rule of thumb in debugging wireless issues (and most others for that
matter): simplify your config if at all possible.  In this case try
checking things out w/o wpa_supplicant (i.e. no crypto).

When debugging, start at the top and work your way down to rule out
problems at each layer.  In this case collect a wpa_supplicant debug log
first, then check for issues at the net80211 layer (wlandebug,
wlanstats, etc.), then finally check at the driver level.

    Sam