Re: conversion of an installed base i386 -> amd64

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:13:55 -0500
Chuck Robey wrote:
> I have finally decided that I really should have installed my
> quad-core-2 equipped box as a amd64, instead of the i386 (32 bit
> should have been 64 bit).  I just finished a buildworld, and I
> checked, the binaries (which I haven't yet done an installworld on)
> are actually amd64/64 bit binaries.  I'm running -current, which is
> mostly why I;m on this list, but my question is one of installation
> order: in doing the conversion, I don't really like the idea of
> accidentally hanging the box.  I would like someone to please let me
> know, what's next? Understand, I am still running the i386 compiler
> (but the buildworld builds it's own private compiler, thank you very
> much).  I need to know, should I install the world next?  Or, is there
> some more correct strategy to get the kernel built?

The procedure I used was:

1. FTP the distfiles for the base system
(ftp://.../release/distfiles/base) [you may need to do a down grade to
RELENG temporarily until you get to step 6]
2. Do the same for the kernel files
3. Install the kernel files (cd ...../distfiles/kernel;install.sh GENERIC)
4. Install the base files (cd ...../distfiles/kernel;install.sh;install.sh)
5. Reboot (your now running an 100% amd64 in the base system)
6. Do the normal procedure for recompiling the system and ports

--
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, not business, friendly