Re: (URGENT/NEW) Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: James <jamesh_at_lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:46:52 -0700
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 08:30 -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> > Can we get some less hyperbolic subject lines in here, please?
> > Thanks.
>
> I was saving this comment until after the issues where solved but now
> is as good a time as any.... ever since I got the machine in late
> augest I have raised this issue (as politely and approriate as
> possible as per posting guidelines and general group feeling) 3 or 4
> times (see some of the references on the wiki).   The latest was about
> 24 hrs before this thread started (the master one) and in conjunction
> with 2 other people who reported almost identical problems (and in the
> case of this specific subthread 100% identical).
>
> Not a *SINGLE* one of these threads got any attention (except for a
> very brief interaction with Xi Lin [I think] that made it so my drives
> where are least reconized as being SATA instead of UDMA33).

It took me a long time, but I eventually realised that *no one* owes me
their time here. I've had issues on questions and ports I've raised
repeatedly for months; if no one has the knowledge to help me, I have to
accept it and move on. Try not to hold it against anyone that sometimes,
your answer just isn't known.

>   It was
> not until I made the comment that a wiki had been setup did any
> attention get payed to the issue.    Please note the orginial note on
> the wiki setup said specifically it was made so me and the other two
> reporters could work on making a patch (since I thought none of the
> current developers had a solution or the possibility of one).

Looking at this, I honestly think that you made a mistake deciding
against hacking the code yourself for fear of duplication of efforts.
You seem to be comfortable getting in there and dealing with the guts of
code yourself; go for it. At the very worst, it's duplication of effort,
but it will *never* be a waste of time.

Scratch your own itch; it's the best way to go.