Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:14:34 -0800
On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:06:01AM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > This is a separate issue, and as I mentioned somewhere else in the
> > thread, happens on numerous hardwares of all kinds.
> As I remember correctly you mentioned it as a annonyance for
> cluttering up the log files not in the context of complete
> impossibility to r/w anything from acd0 due to timeouts... namely you
> got errornous error messages that had no real effect on actual
> functionality;  the issue I was confirming prevents any use of acd0
> (or even booting if there is a cd in the drive)

What I said was two lines:

"The SATA ATAPI errors you see are something I can't really help with,
many see these kinds of messages on all sorts of hardware."

Although I am curious to know what happens if you take that SATA ATAPI
drive and replace it with another SATA ATAPI drive of a different brand,
such as Plextor or Pioneer.  Most of the ATAPI errors I've seen have
been caused by ATAPI devices which simply don't implement specific ATAPI
commands.  FreeBSD is fairly verbose about reporting such.