Recent update of 7-BETA causes laptop to freeze on battery

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:18:46 -0800
After an update of my laptop to 7-BETA2 on Nov. 4, I can no longer run
on battery. If I boot on battery, everything is normal until devd is
started. It immediately fires off /etc/rc.d/power_profile which
sets my system to C4.

Once this happens, the system almost freezes. It takes about 15 seconds
to move on the ipfw and, after the initial "Flushed all rules" it pauses
for another 20-30 seconds and loads rules by ones and twos before
finally totally freezing. Ctrl-C will cause a several more lines to come
out, but it never makes it to multiuser mode.

If I plug it in, it often eventually switches back to C1 and runs
normally. Pulling the plug again switches back to C4 and everything
locks up. I eventually gave up and power cycled the system. (Ugh!) It
may be an issue with output to the console as, if it unfreezes at all,
it usually spits out several lines to the console at once before another
pause.

This has not been a problem until recently. My last known working kernel
was from back on about Oct. 15, although I think one from back on Oct 29
also worked. (Just not sure that I had it on battery.)

Any ideas on where to look for this and how to debug? If forces me to
leave the CX state at HIGHEST (C1) all the time with kills the battery.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)