Re: Bringing up new Intel non-legacy system

From: Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8_at_klop.yi.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:15:22 +0100
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 01:17:16 +0100, Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Although I'm a network guy, for various reasons I am helping to get
> FreeBSD running on a new Intel system: S7000FC4UR. This is a
> rack-mount server that has no PS/2 or PCI legacy, its all PCI-E
> expansion, and only USB peripheral. I have had a lot of issues:
>
> First, the DVD is SATA, however I can work around that by setting
> IDE mode in the BIOS.
>
> With FreeBSD 7 BETA the install kernel always seems to hang
> in USB initialization, if I disable ACPI it gets further, but ultimately
> still no joy.
>
> Oddly enough, STABLE OCT snapshot will actually install  but
> again only with ACPI disabled.
>
> Anyone have an idea why 6.X would actually faire better than 7,
> this surprised me?!
>
> And, is the ACPI subsystem likely to be the source of the problem?
>
> I would really prefer 7 running on this, and of course with ACPI
> working.
>
> Oh, the system also has LSI MegaRaid SAS 1078, which I was
> able to install using STABLE.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jack

My computer at home (6.2-STABLE/i386) hangs on usb if my external harddisk
is attached. But since I disabled USB in the BIOS it works fine. FreeBSD
does still detect USB, so I think it was some conflict between BIOS
initializing the hardware and FreeBSD doing that. Maybe you have the same
problem.

Ronald.

--
  Ronald Klop